CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Search This Blog

Monday, January 24, 2011

Gladys Artesia Fell Brewer


                                                  My brother Junior, me, and Gladys made in 1944

My daughter Jan and Gladys  in 1966

Last picture of Gladys before her death.




Today has been a rainy, dreary January day but most of all to me it has been a sad day. Today is my sister's birthday. I have been thinking of her all day. She was born eighty seven years ago but died in 1968 when she was forty-four years old. She was seventeen years older than me and more like a mother than a sister. She was the oldest and I was the youngest.  She was an abused wife and after twenty years of a bad life had divorced, had a good job and was living a good, comfortable life.  She found out she had colon cancer and back in the sixties there were no treatments like they have today.  She worked for a year after she was diagnosed and took all the experiential drugs she could, just to try to help someone else. 
I was pregnant with my second daughter when she died and she managed to get to the store to buy little blue outfit for "him" to wear home. She was just sure it was a boy.  When Michelle was born a month later, she wore that blue outfit home from the hospital! She was one of these people who was beautiful inside and outside.  I don't think anyone could ever say anything bad about her.
I still miss her today as much as I did then and I think of her often.  In 1966 and 1967 we lived in the same town with her and I was able to see her everyday.  I will always treasure those memories of her.
GLADYS ARTESIA FELL BREWER    January 24, 1924   October 9, 1968

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I would have got to meet her! I know I would have loved her bunches and glad you let me wear that little blue outfit home... :)

Post a Comment