CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Memories of growing up in a small town during the 1950"s!

Life was much simpler in a small town during the 1950's. Money was tight but life was uncomplicated without all the trappings of the modern day. Iuka had appoximately 2500 living in the city limits. We had no red lights and the major highway from Memphis to Chattanooga, Tennessee ran right through the middle of town along side the railroad track that ran from Memphis to Washington, DC. There were several freight trains and two passenger trains that came though each day and that was how we received our mail. My sister lived in Memphis and I would get on the train and ride to visit her and her family. My husband or kids have never had the pleasure of enjoying riding through the countryside and seeing the country like you did from a train.
We had two drug stores in town and both had soda fountains with soda jerks (mostly boys) just like the shows on TV. Going to Baskin-Robbins will never compare to going to the soda fountain and having a milk shake, malt, or sundae in a real glass. They were the meeting places after school when all the teens would meet to flirt and gossip. Awww, those were the "Happy Days" with a jukebox but without the Fonz!
Our town had a cafe called "Claude Curtis Hamburgers". We called the burgers "slug burgers" and all kind of rumors were told about them. They were greasy and you got them with mustard, pickle, and onion only. I don't think anyone knew exactly what he put in them but today's version uses soy in the beef. He also made hotdogs with kraut and a watered down homemade chili. Most times you could not find a table or stool to sit at. They sold for five cents!
We had a movie theater named the Majestic. On the week end it was the place to be. They would show westerns (Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Randolph Scott, Lash LaRue) along with news and all the latest movies. When they showed "Love me Tender" with Elvis I think I saw it at least ten times, and cried each time!! The first run movies were at night and the westerns were mostly matinees on Saturday afternoon. You could go to town get a hamburger and coke at Claude's, go to the movie and get popcorn for a quarter! Try doing that today!!!! Later we got a Drive In movie which is still in operation today, one of only three left in the State of Mississippi. I actually met Lash LaRue at the Memphis Fair when I was about thirteen and he kissed me on my cheek. To me this was the almost as good as meeting Elvis!
All the stores were in the "downtown" area. On Saturdays it was hard to find a parking space. That was when everyone did their shopping at small family owned grocery stores, clothing stores, barber and beauty shops and the 5 and 10 cent store. We had two, one was named Elmore's and was actually a chain store out of Alabama. When I graduated from high school in May of 1959 I worked for them that summer until I could decide what I wanted to do with my life. I worked six days a week and I don't remember how much I made an hour but we were paid in cash on Saturday and my pay was eighteen dollars and a few cents after they took out taxes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment