CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Where were you born and when?


My birth certificate states that I was born in Tuscumbia, Alabama, and my mother showed me where the house was when I was a little girl. However it was in the country and over the years the best I can remember the area would now be in the city of Muscle Shoals, Ala. The house was an old house that actually looked like a "shack". I was the the youngest of eight children and my mother actually gave birth to all of us at home. My father had been in a bad wreck while my Mom was pregnant with me and was unable to work. In those days there was no government help and everyone had to fend for themselves. When I was about 18 months old we moved to Sheffield, Ala. to a much nicer house and neighborhood. I was born October 28, 1941, just weeks before the Pearl Harbor bombing, in the coldest part of the year and I can only imagine how hard times must have been with seven children ranging in age from birth to 17. (One of my brothers died of colitis at age 3 several years before I was born. All basic goods were rationed because of WWII and each person received a ration book, even me. When the rationing ended my mother saved the book with the stamps left and today it is one of my prized possessions! The
picture is of my brother Billy and me in front of the house.

0 comments:

Post a Comment